Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Project #2- Favorite Animal


Day 2 is supposed to feature your favorite animal.  Well, what am I supposed to do with that, since my theme is kind of already that?

It took me longer than a day to get this one done, because we went out of town and because of trying to think of how to make my project fit the assignment.  I considered doing something with ladybugs and monkeys.  (I LOVE sock monkeys!)  I also thought about bunnies, because I did a bunny for the first project.  Today, however, I was cleaning in the dining room and found some origami paper.  I knew immediately what to do.  I wasn't sure what the finished product would be--I never do--but I had the spark!

I grabbed my package of paper and some more for the mini-man.  (It's mostly his paper.  I only have the one set for me.)  I hit the computer for some origami ladybug directions.  (Too many sites to link here.  Just do a search for origami + whatever you want to make.)


He suggested we do a frog next.  The search results even gave us a jumping frog!


He asked for a sphinx next, but he left before making it.



After the sphinx, I just kept finding more things to make, so I wound up with a small menagerie, plus scenery, and used it to make a summery scene.


The background is just 6" papers laid out like tiles with their white sides showing.  Although some of their color is  visible.

I tried two different ladybug patterns, but I really liked the first one.  I was using 6" paper, but I saw on one of the websites that someone had cut up their paper to make 3" squares for their grass.  I thought that would make more appropriate ladybugs, too, so I made some more.


The front one was too cartoon-y.


I think the small ladybugs are my favorites, but the frog was fun to make, too.  

Besides the fun of the project itself was learning how good my son is at origami.  He has really come a long way since he started!  I expected to have to help him with most of the folds, but he only needed help with one.  Way to go, X-man!

1 comment: